Cappa get the better of Kilmurry in Parish League (SMB GAA Notes)

Saturday, 19th January 2013
Submitted by Senior Club PRO

Cappa 1-9 v Kilmurry 1-4 

Parish League Round 2 @ Seanchoill.

The second game of the night saw the meeting of the bookies favourites Kilmurry and the outsiders Cappa. This was an eagerly awaited contest with the maroon coloured side making their debut in this years competition against one of the form teams in Cappa. Weather conditions on the night were difficult for both games but things got a bit worse weather wise for this match.

For the second week in a row Cappa started well and had early scores from Cyril Crowe and Joe O’Halloran. Indeed, both sides were guilty of a few poor wides leading up to these scores. It took a little bit of time for Kilmurry to settle with Kevin Lynch getting them off the mark when he raced through for a deserved goal. Cyril Crowe levelled matters from a free shortly afterwards and similar to last week they got through for a green flag at a crucial time. Some good passing movement from the Cappa forwards enabled Crowe to give Pa Freeman no chance to put Cappa into a 1-3 to 1-0 lead. The influential Christy Griffin kickstarted the Kilmurry comeback when he sent over a fine effort from the middle of the pitch to and this was followed by a Kevin Lynch point that narrowed the gap to one. Cappa finished the half strongly with a good effort from Joe O’Halloran before Kevin Lynch cancelled it out with another point with the last action of the half. This left the half time score 1-4 to 1-3 with Cappa ahead.

The opening minutes of the second half were always going to be important in deciding this game with a few early scores vital for either side. This proved true for Cappa as they ultimately went on to do this hitting their opponents for four points without reply. Michael O’Halloran Jnr got things going with a well struck free and this was followed by a Cyril Crowe effort. Kilmurry battled away, particulary in defence, but they could not manage to find their range in front of goal. Eoin Flynn, who was moved out of goals after ten minutes, sent over one of the scores of the evening for Cappa, showing nice skill to create enough room for the strike. This gave his side a four point lead with Kilmurry in need of a goal.

Entering the final quarter of the half Joe O’Halloran got another score to put his team in the driving seat. Kilmurry finally got off the mark for the second half through Paul Corbett and was it not for some good defensive work from Cappa they could have notched a few more. The final score of the game fell to Cyril Crowe when he sent over a free as Cappa recorded their second win on the trot with another fine performance.

This game had some good passages of play and scores with a good blend of youth and experience on the pitch for both sides. Cappa had good performances from Evan McInerney, Conor Earley, Cyril Crowe and Joe O’Halloran while Eoin Flynn showed some nice touches when moved outfield. The vanquished were served well by Darragh McNamara, Brian Carey, Christy Griffin, Errol Tuohy and Kevin Lynch.

Cappa: Eoin Flynn (0-1); Barry Fitzpatrick, Keith Walker, Mark Quinn; Evan McInerney, Conor Earley, Aidan Hyland; Michael O’Halloran Jnr (0-1), Adrian Chaplin; Cathal O’Connor, Declan Murphy, Ronan Mullane; Tony McNamara, Cyril Crowe (1-4), Joe O’Halloran (0-3).

Sub: Michael O’Halloran Snr.

Kilmurry: Pa Freeman; Darragh McNamara, Brian Carey, Mark Culbert; Barry Donnellan, Tommy Morey, Eric Lynch; Conleith Agnew, Christy Griffin (0-1); Ed Skehan, Errol Tuohy, Kevin Lynch (1-2); Barry Corbett, Declan Morey, Paul Corbett (0-1).

Subs: Eddie Russell, Seanie Murray.

Management: Brian Culbert (manager), Adrian Hogan, Tom Keogh, Declan Sheedy (selectors).

Referee: Jack Chaplin (Cratloe).