CillMhuire

Welcome To Kilmurry.com

Although this parish is so called after the Mary, there is reason to suppose that it was originally dedicated to some Irish saint. A holy well a little way from the site of the church is called Tobar Faoile, after the virgin saint of that name who had a religious establishment at Athcliath Meadhraidhe in the county of Galway, and another near Limerick from which the parish of Killeely is designated. Of the church itself not a trace remains, but the graveyard surrounding it is greatly used by the people of the neighbouring country as a place of burial. In Kilmurry parish are found the castle of Rossroe, in good preservation belonging in 1580 to Fineen, son of Loghlen MacNamara; and the castle of Drumullan, the property at that time of Covea son of Mahone MacNamara.