Fr. Malone was succeeded by Rev. R. Little as Manager of the “old” school in 1884. He drew the attention of the Inspector to many defects in the school; for example, “the floor was in poor repair”, and “accommodation was inadequate”. Accordingly it was decided to build a new school on an adjoining site.
The following is copied from the original lease: “Particulars of Lease” Grantor: Robert Ashworth Studdart, Esq. D.L. Major, of Kilkishen House, Kilkishen,
Co. Clare. Trustees: Rev. Robert H. Little, P.P. of Sixmilebridge, Co. Clare.
Mr. James Shuley. Mr. Michael Cunneen (Cath.) of Mountcashel, Sixmilebridge. Date of Lease: 27/8/90 Tenure: 99 years.
Original Applicant: Rev. R.H. Little P.P.
The above particulars were followed by another statement “Grant to Build Vested School House” Board’s Oder: 29/7/90.
Sub. Committee: Grant of £254 to build, on expenditure of £381 and £30-5s-Od to’ enclose on expenditure of £45-7s-6d. House to be built according to Plan. No. 4 to accommodate 120 children in maximum attendance.
The Grants were advised to the Board of Works and to the Manager on 29-8-90. The grants were entered in the salary book on 25th June, 1891. However, it was not until 1894 that a new roll number was given to the new school (2-2-94) which was duly recognised from that date as being vested in trustees. The old school was known as “a mixed non- vested school”. There was also a plan to have a girls’ school set up but this was quickly shelved (also in 1894).