The school in Feenagh was kept by James McNamara, it had 18 males and 14 females and the average attendance was 25.
In the year 1831 the system of national schools was founded by the Chief
Secretary for Ireland, Lord Stanley, when he set up the Board of National
Education. In the beginning, Catholics and Protestants were educated together but within ten years each church had gone separate ways.
There was a school in Kilmurry in 1843 and for some years previous to that. The
classes were held in the Porch section of the church (it is now the present sacristy area). There was a window where the present door is and an entrance door on the opposite north west side..